Scrub update

I think it’s finally time to retire this hemp dish washing “scrub”. It’s the same one I made and started using back in November. There are holes in it now, which I think resulted from snagging the yarn on silverware, but It has held up remarkably well for the amount of work it’s done. I can’t imagine ever returning to a traditional dish sponge. One of the things I love most about this little knitted square is that it never smells bad. I just wash it with soap and water and hang it on a nail to dry between uses and it stays quite clean. I loathe the smell of a cellulose sponge after it’s picked up billions of bacteria. Hemp is naturally mildew resistant and antimicrobial. Now that this one is starting to fall apart, I’ll cut it up into little pieces and throw it in the compost. I knitted a new scrub to replace it.

, , , , , ,

6 Responses to Scrub update

1. Shaina January 25, 2013 at 6:22 pm #

This is so awesome! Would you please tell me where I can find a pattern for this? I’ve looked around and all I can find is ones for yarn. Is it the same concept? I’m getting very tired of nasty sponges and dish rags. I’m not very skilled with crocheting but I am definitely willing to learn for a project like this!

• Colleen January 25, 2013 at 6:53 pm #

Hi Shaina! Yes, knitting hemp is the very same as knitting yarn. It’s pretty soft and pliable and behaves the same. These dish cloths are very quick and easy little swatches. I myself am not very skilled at knitting. I never work from a pattern, I always just wing it and do random variations of knit and purl stitches. I don’t know how to crochet (but I’m dying to learn!) and this is just knitted with straight US 5 bamboo needles. Hope that info helps. let me know if you have any other questions—good luck!

2. Rikke January 5, 2015 at 11:16 pm #

This is a fantastic idea! Just found your blog, and know it’s an old post, but needed to say you just answared a question I have had fro a long time about dishes with no plastic and no pig hair. Thanks!

3. Michelle June 2, 2016 at 3:59 pm #

Where do buy the hemp yarn?

4. Debra June 4, 2016 at 6:05 pm #

Just spun my first bobbin of hemp and shall be crocheting up some dish clothes with it. Love the idea it is anti microbial and will not smell. Would love to try growing a small patch for spinning.

5. Iva Grabner August 4, 2016 at 4:47 pm #

Such a great idea!! I’m gonna try it for sure. It’s gonna be even a great present for my friends…your blog is a big inspiration, I hope you’ll continue it ..