Good Tern

goodtern5

This weekend I made a trip up to midcoast Maine  to visit with some dear friends I made at wood school this past the summer. On my way home I stopped into Good Tern Natural Foods Cooperative and Café. in Rockland, a wonderful source for organic local produce and bulk grocery goods. Each time I’ve been into the co-op, I’ve had a lovely experience. They have an easy tare system at the register. On two occasions I allowed (and welcomed) to rinse one of my less than squeaky clean reusable containers in their kitchen sink to use for my bulk goods purchases.

goodtern3

Good Tern’s wall of bulk spices is one of the most comprehensive displays I’ve seen of all the co-ops I’ve visited. And their baking goods selection even offers alternatives to gluten flours.

goodtern

They even have bulk dry dog and cat food!

goodtern1

And a fantastic selection of bulk oils, vinegars, honey, nut butters, and extracts.

goodtern2

I came home restocked with package-free olive oil, apple cider vinegar, and tahini. Oh, the many meals these three simple ingredients will inspire!

, , , , , ,

9 Responses to Good Tern

1. Endearing Life January 29, 2013 at 2:28 am #

How do you find these little places? I have been on a quest for less waste but non of our local grocery stores carry any bulk products. I have to drive an hour to go to whole foods and their bulk is so limited. I would love to get oil and vinegar and especially alternative flours. I dream of a place like that. Thank you for your blog. I love following your journey.

2. Colleen January 29, 2013 at 4:09 pm #

Hello there! Thanks so much for the message! My experience has been that there are so many wonderful food cooperatives and alternative grocery stores that have been under my nose for years and I am still discovering great stores near me. I clicked into your Endearing Life website to see if I could figure out where you are from. It looks like you live in Florida? Is that right? I did a quick search with this tool: http://www.cooperativegrocer.coop/coops, which yielded a list of six natural food stores in the state, located in the cities of Tallahassee, Gainesville, Melbourne, Pensacola, and Cape Canaveral. Do you live near any of these places? Or close enough to make a trip once a month or every couple of months to stock up? I have no idea if any of these businesses stock bulk foods but you might look into it. Also, these are certainly not the only co-ops in the state. In a quick google search found this one in Orlando: http://www.homegrowncoop.org/, and this one in Miami: http://www.mooncoop.coop/departments/bulk/, and they definitely have a bulk section! Anyway, hope that helps, or at least gives you some leads. Happy hunting!!!

3. Endearing Life January 31, 2013 at 6:09 pm #

Thank you so much for the reply. I actually live in the Florida Keys. I was excited when you said there was one in Miami. I clicked the link but it took me to a place in Ohio…. It may have been Miami, Ohio and not Miami, Florida. =( I’ll keep looking, but if any of your blog followers live in south florida and have any places… let me know. =)

• Colleen January 31, 2013 at 7:52 pm #

Oops! You’re right that co-op is in Miami county, Ohio. My mistake! Hmmmm, I will ask a friend of mine who is from Miami. Meanwhile, here’s another list of organic food stores in Florida you might take a look at. Let me know if you come up with anything and I will absolutely get in touch with you if I get any other leads. Good luck :)

4. Endearing Life February 1, 2013 at 1:37 am #

Thanks… but I don’t see a list. =)

5. stella April 9, 2013 at 1:35 am #

Love it!!

6. organic gardening facts March 2, 2014 at 12:31 am #

Thanks for ones marvelous posting! I really enjoyed
    reading it, you happen to be a great author.I will make
    certain to bookmark your blog and will eventually come back
    later on. I want to encourage that you continue your great work,
    have a nice afternoon!

7. weightlifting belts March 2, 2014 at 12:43 am #

Hi, its nice post concerning media print, we all be
    familiar with media is a great source of data.